Thursday, 14 March 2013

Clothes Maketh the (Wo)Man

Handmade 70s Crimplene top - £8.97 (eBay), Belt £1 (PAWS shop), skinny jeans 20p (jumble sale), boots £10 (eBay), 70s? patchwork waistcoat £4.00 (eBay), earrings £2 (salvation Army shop)

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll have seen all of these before with the exception of the top. Though I own a fair few clothes, like many people I often come back to a few favourite items. I'd love to say I swan around in maxi dresses and high heels all day, but the truth is when you have a baby under one arm and a toddler hanging off the other, you just can't hold up your skirt at the same time as climbing the stairs. Plus I struggle to walk in shoes higher than a couple of inches. From next school term, I'm taking the role of secretary for the boy's parent and toddler group. Now, I'm well aware that I dress a little differently from a lot of the mums, but the question pops up in my mind - is there a 'typical' way that mums (particularly of young children) dress? If so, should I tone down it down in order to look more 'acceptable' to prospective new members? (not that I will, this is a purely hypothetical question). It leads me to more questions about conformity and the attitudes of others. Most people wouldn't go to an interview say, with neon leggings and a hawaiian shirt simply because it wouldn't be a 'professional' image to the masses (though perhaps if you were auditioning for the circus you'd be spot on). Chances are you wouldn't get the job, even if you had all the qualifications as you'd likely be perceived as 'wacky' or a similar expression and therefore unsuitable. But why does the way someone dresses create such preconceived ideas? All I can say is thank the universe for my fabulous army of blogging buddies who just don't care what other people think!

On another track entirely, I just wanted to share this fab dress I found on Tuesday in one of my regular-ish trips to Keynsham. As one of the Fundamental Laws of Charity Shops is: The Good Stuff Is In The Last Shop You Almost Didn't Go In Because You Couldn't Be Bothered, I did bother and came up with this beauty.

70s Trina Lewis and Marjon Couture maxi.


Though I may look less than thrilled (that's my lack of posing skills), I actually really love it. It's just it's a little tight around the waist (must lay off the Mars bars for a while). At £9.99, it's at the top of my budget, but I knew it had to be mine. I didn't try it on, just measured it and bought it hoping it would fit, luckily it (just) does. I have another similar dress in pale blue with more detailing by Trina Lewis that I also found in a charity shop a couple of years ago. It's packed away at the moment, but I hope I'll be able to wear it soon. JB1 found a toy combine harvester for his growing garage (what is it about little boys and vehicles?!), so he was happy too.

Can you tell I've also just discovered PicMonkey?

5 comments:

Ivy Black said...

Oooh that dress is so fabulous.The colours the pattern the design...all of it. Gorgeous and not a bad price for quality shmutter. Looks fab on you.xxx

Liz said...

Love the dress - colours are just great!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

pastcaring said...

The candy-striped dress is a beauty, and a tenner wouldn't even buy you a crappy fall-apart-in-next-to-no-time frock from Primark, so it definitely wasn't overpriced!
I hope you don't feel under any pressure to change how you dress for the toddler group! I can understand about professional dress codes (well, I can't really, what someone wears doesn't have any bearing on their abilities). But I accept that there is a convention about clothing for certain jobs which would preclude fabulous maxis and patchwork and general vintage gorgeousness! But having a voluntary role as secretary for a playgroup? No way? You might be known as "that lady who wears funny clothes" (I am!) but you are visible, people will know who you are, and it's how you perform the role and get on with the kids and parents that counts. Don't go changing, Liz! xxx

Vix said...

That dress is gorgeous and personally I'm happy to pay double that if it was a dress I loved, I had the cash and it was for charity.
I wouldn't have thought the way you dress for your new voluntary role would matter, my Mum taught reception class in catsuits and leather trousers, it didn't affect the way she did her job and certainly made her memorable.
xxx

Willowie said...

Oh my that vest, I'm a little in love.