Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Bye-Bye Love






It's a shame my first post in nearly three weeks is a sad one, but I haven't felt much like blogging or commenting recently.
Sadly I lost the last of my guinea pigs, Honey, yesterday. She was just over five years old. I'd noticed she was losing weight and wasn't eating last week and after a few vet trips it turned out she had overgrown teeth and had also lost a front incisor. Guinea teeth keep growing throughout their lives and can cause a lot of problems if they wear unevenly, usually putting the pig off it's food. Because they're evolved to eat more or less constantly, a guinea that stops eating is in danger of gut stastis (basically if there's no food going in, the gut shuts down and is nearly impossible to re-start and the pig will die in a lot of pain). Subsequently I was syringe feeding Honey in the hope of getting her weight back up so she would have a chance of surviving a general anaesthetic to have her teeth filed. She had looked a bit stronger first thing yesterday, but went downhill throughout the morning and passed away at lunchtime. The picture above is quite an old one (she would have been around 5 months there) taken not long after I got her. She's wet because she'd just had a bath (back in the days when I had time to bath guinea pigs!).

Feels a bit weird without animals in the house as I've had guineas for almost eight years now. I will get some more in the future, but not just yet.

10 comments:

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

I know all about guinea pigs and their teeth. One of ours died with a similar teeth problem and she was only a few months old. So sorry to hear about yours. xx

pastcaring said...

Ahh, poor little Honey. These animals, they wheedle their way into our hearts, don't they? So sorry you feel sad, Liz. xxx

Serenata said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your little one. I have had guinea pigs since I was six years old...can't really remember many years I was without them. Almost all mine are now almost five and older.

Krista Gassib said...

i'm so sorry honey, my animals are my world so I can only image how sad you are. Sending you a hug

Melanie said...

I'm so, so sorry for your loss.
Our Grace was a lionhead bunny which meant she had almost constant dental problems and she had GI Stasis when we moved last year, which made the whole situation even more stressful as we were having to stop constantly to check on her and syringe food and medicine into her. Then Bob had it recently too.
Big hugs xxx

Helga! said...

O no!!! That's awful. So sorry to hear such sad news.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

two squirrels said...

Oh Honey, you poor wee poppet. I am so sorry sweet, it hurts so much when our fur babies leave.
Sending a big squirrel hug.
love V

Frocktasia said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of Honey. It is very hard to loose a pet as they become so important to us.
Sending a big hug your way...xXx

Vix said...

That's very sad, hope you're all okay! x

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Aw sorry, so sad when pets die. I totally get the empty house thing.
x