Saturday, 16 February 2013

Prints Charming

Needlecord kaftan (about £7, Exmouth charity shop), Ted Baker waistcoat (about £20, House of Fraser sale), 90s boots (£5.50, eBay) earrings (99p, PDSA shop), bangles (50p each, car boot sale)

Check out the slightly sinister print! I don't know if this is actually an original item - funnily enough I have a length of fabric like this in pink and grey tones that I bought new a few years ago.

I took a trip to Nailsworth on Thursday as I'd heard there were some good charity shops there. The first two didn't turn up anything, but the third was definitely worth the trip. At last - a proper old fashioned charity shop crammed with stuff and sensible prices.

60s or 70s handmade velvet hat £3, (Emmaus Nailsworth)


Somebody went to all the trouble of stiching all those lines in the panels!

Beyond knowing roughly how much fabric each type of garment takes, I rarely buy fabric with a specific project in mind. That said, this 70s polyester length said 'halterneck maxi' as soon as I spotted it in a box of remnants. 

70s polyester £4 (Emmaus).

60s or 70s (not sure) crimplene type fabric £5 (Emmaus), probably destined to be a dress as well.
 


These two are ebay wins, and I'm thinking of blouses for these. I have a pattern in mind but I'm not sure I can bring myself to pay £4.99 for it!

What about you, have you sewn anything recently?

9 comments:

Vix said...

Gorgeous! Love that needlecord kaftan, the print is insane and the hat is groovy.
I can just see a gorgeous halter neck maxi in the red, white and blue fabric too. Love the lime green daisy print, too.
I've revamped a lampshade and made a cushion cover this weekend, my mojo's finally returning. xxx

Minerva Black the shoppe keeping cat said...

Wonderful colours and patterns! Always loved needlecord, something so soft about it. Have been sewing 'found' buttons onto things - an easy new look for old stuff you've grown bored of. Minerva ~

pastcaring said...

Love the print on the maxi, Liz, and the gold braid on the cuffs and neckline.
I'm envying your wonderful fabric haul - because YES, I have been sewing! yes, ME! The evidence is on my blog, a bag and a skirt, no less! PS. Are there any Ebay fabric sellers you would recommend? (Ie. they are cheap!) xxxxx

thorne garnet said...

Have I sewn anything recently? Let me stop laughing first, ok, I hand sewed sequin fabric to a bra( to make a sexy top),8 oversize bibs and 8 over sized baby bonnets for a children's play, hemmed too many pants to keep track, next week I get to start on a doublet and a pair of pumpkin breeches. Did I mention I make costumes for theatre?

Love the floral fabric!

Melanie said...

I love the fabrics! You just never see good charity shop finds around these parts these days xx

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

Oh I LOVE your new frock with the wonderfully strange wee faces:). Hooray for old-skool chazzas! They're far and few between these days. I'm having an absolute drool-fest over your green fabrics - I can't wait to see what you do with them. I got my machine out and hooked it up ready to go, I'm itching to sew! I cut out a load of small patchwork squares and I've got two spare cushions - so I think we have a project! xoxo

Miss Simmonds Says said...

Creepy patterns are the best, I love this one. And I love all the fabric you found, not mention that hippy hat

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Gorgeous fabrics, the caftan is the best - love those Blythe-alike faces!
x

Frocktasia said...

I love that needle-cord caftan and the trippy print, it's the kind of thing that I would possibly not even notice at first glance...I'd buy it and then on the first wear I'd look down and go "Wow, I never noticed the faces before". This happened to me a few years ago with a dress that I thought to have just a straight forward tropical foliage print but when I actually took time to study it I found seahorses incorporated in it :)
the velvet hat is fab and you've bagged some smashing fabrics there too...xXx