Monday, 15 October 2012

Book Review: Minxy Vintage


Having read one of Kelly Doust's previous books (Crafty Minx) and found it rather basic and repetitive, and also a few less than positive reviews on Amazon, I wasn't expecting great things from this book. However, I was pleasantly surprised.

The book starts off with a section explaining how to source vintage clothing, what to look for when choosing clothing, useful equipment and embellishments for re-vamping what you've found. The Crafty Repairs section tackles cleaning clothes and makes suggestions for small changes, such as dyeing, adding embellishments and chopping sleeves, hemlines etc to turn an unworn dress into a new treasure. The book is then divided into eight chapters covering dresses, wedding outfits, jackets and coats, tops and blouses, skirts, knits, accessories and lingerie and nightwear. Each chapter contains several items from Kelly's own wardrobe which she has made over. They begin with a mood board style layout of the 'before' pictures, then each item is lavishly photographed in it's new incarnation, along with a brief description of how it was transformed. In between the revamp chapters, there are overviews of the key styles of each decade of 20th century style from the 1900s to the 1980s.
I would like to have seen better pictures of the pieces prior to reworking and less experienced sewers might be put off by the somewhat sketchy details of the transformations. Overall, this is a beautifully presented book with many lovely photographs. What it isn't is a detailed 'how-to' on revamping clothes. I'd buy this if you're looking for inspiration, rather than a practical sewing book.

6/10.

PS This isn't a sponsored post, just my own thoughts on the book.

3 comments:

Vix said...

I shall keep my eyes peeled for this in The Works, I love the title and your review is great.
I quite like it when the finished result pictures aren't too clear, like in "Yeah, I Made It Myself". Sometimes a fantastic revamp can be a bit intimidating to us less that pro sewers! xxx

pastcaring said...

Thanks for the review, I'll keep an eye out for the book. xxx

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

This looks like treasure between two very pretty covers. I just got home from checking out the op shops for a shirt for #3 Son (Loud Shirt Day competition) - thank goodness I found a cute cotton Hawaiian shirt. Aaaaaaanyway, I was thinking "I need some inspiring tutorials on how to revamp a skirt-to-pants-to-shirt-type-thingummy - this book sounds perfect! xo