Monday, 9 April 2012

High School Musical

Yes - 'tis me! Yet again, apologies for being a bad blogger as I've had such a lot on my plate recently. Nothing earth-shattering, but lots of little things that all seem to add up. Close friends of ours got married a couple of weeks ago and Mr R&B and I were fairly involved in proceedings (he being best man and myself being cake-decorator). I've also gone back to good old ebay to get my vintage shop going (6 items sold this week, yay!) as Etsy isn't working for me at the moment. Baby Bird has been sickly since Thursday - though happy enough in himself, let's just say we've gone through a LOT of nappies and bedding this weekend!
I keep having lots of ideas for blog posts - I like to write them in my head, but they don't make it on-screen. I'm going to have to start a blog notebook and jot ideas down as they come. Another reason for not posting is that I know you like to see pictures and I just haven't been wearing or doing much worth sharing. Despite my vow not to spend my whole pregnancy in jeans and stretch jersey, I've pretty much done it anyway!


I've been planning to do the High School Playlist tag for a while, despite not actually being tagged (hey, I'm breaking the rules - deal with it!). Music was such a big part of my Secondary School years (1992-1997), especially as I lived in a one-horse town in South West Wales with nothing to do except read and listen to Radio 1 until I was 14. I'll steer swiftly away from my (short-lived) dreams of marrying Mark Owen (like a lot of 30ish girls of my generation), and move on to the slightly cooler music. The early to mid-Nineties were of course the height of grunge and Britpop. I wasn't hip enough to like Nirvana and co (perhaps a little early for me), but give me a bouncy guitar riff from four wannabe Mockneys any day! I've always been more of an album person, so I've picked five important albums and chosen my favourite track from there.


So first up is:
1. Blur - Parklife (Parklife)
The first album I bought with my own money. I saved up for weeks to buy it on cassette and walked all the way to Pembroke to buy it. Looking now, the round trip was just over three miles, but it felt like going to the moon and back then! What can I say? Probably Blur's most famous and most played song. Love it or hate, I bet you're humming it! All together now: 'Awwwll the peep-pull, so many peep-pull..'


2. Suede - Beautiful Ones (Coming Up) A harder one to choose, though I loved Suede at the time, they've somewhat dropped off the radar for me these days.

3. Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer (Crossroads)
An iconic track (can music be iconic?) for so many people for so many reasons. I know it was originally released in 1986, but it's been with me since I taped the album from my friend's copy (those were the days!).

4. Pulp - Sorted for E's and Whizz (Different Class) I probably shouldn't have known what this song was really about when I was 14, but I did and it made me dream of going to festivals (not that I've ever taken illegal substances - just doesn't interest me), although I didn't to my first until 2001.

5. Levellers - Hope Street (Zeitgeist) Still love them today, only band I've seen live more than twice.


There you go then, my secondary school in a nutshell!

3 comments:

pastcaring said...

Great choices. But I feel OLD! I was in my late 20s-early 30s during your high school years...
But enough about me (yeah, shut up, Grandma) - that first single or album you buy with your own money is always a milestone. Especially if you walked 3 miles to get it!
Pulp were HUGE here in Sheffield, of course, Jarvis is much loved. And Suede - forgotten all about them but they were good.
How are you feeling? Hope growing the second Baby Bird is going well, and that first BB is better now. xxxx

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Oh I missed this post - I think we'd have got on at school! I must do my version at some point and blow my carefully constructed image of cool for good ;-)

How about some pictures of the wedding cake?
x

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Oh I missed this post - I think we'd have got on at school! I must do my version at some point and blow my carefully constructed image of cool for good ;-)

How about some pictures of the wedding cake?
x