Tuesday, 6 September 2011

In The Frame

Do you remember the tatty old frame I bought for 50p back in March? (Never fear if you don't, just follow the link for a reminder). Well, I've actually completed the restoration, much to Mr R&Bs' surprise - he even said it 'looked nice', which is praise indeed from him. He's so used to my mad, half-finished projects littering the house I think he was just pleased to see something finished in less than a year (5 months this time, possibly a personal best).

Here is a walkthrough of the project.

 First, find yourself a tatty old frame. Next you'll need some moulding compound and some plaster. 
I used Siligum and Restoration Plaster, both made by Gedeo.


 Mix together your moulding compound according to the instructions and take moulds of sections that correspond to the missing pieces.


 Mix your plaster according to the instructions and fill your moulds.


After much sanding, remoulding and gluing, the gaps have been filled.


 
The frame painted up in Craig & Rose 'Pale Mortlake Cream'. 
I also painted a very thin wash of grey paint and water over the top to slightly age the cream.



Next, I cut a piece of hardboard to size and covered it with an offcut of wallpaper.
I had to fiddle about a bit to fix the board into the frame, but I worked it out in the end.

The finished article.


 I also received a lovely birthday parcel from Vix on Saturday. Her fabulousness sent me some funky fabric and haberdashery, a 60s sewing pattern, a great sewing book and a sweet little swallow bracelet. Isn't Vix a darling?


Have fun everyone and see you very soon!

6 comments:

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

First of all - happy belated birthday! Looks like a lovely parcel from Vix. Secondly, your jewellery frame make-over is gorgeous - you're so clever to fill in all the missing parts, it's got a whole new lease of life.

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

The frame looks amazing - your hard work really paid off. Happy belated birthday too.

Helga! said...

O,happy belated birthday,love!
Vix is indeed fabulous!!
Amazing job on that frame!! Bloody hell! Looks gorge with your jewellery on it. 5 months? Yeah,I've got unfinished projects from YEARS ago.......at least we're not alone!XXX

Vix said...

I need to make another one, mine's overloaded to the hilt and hanging in a very drunken manner.
You did a great job. Isn't it a lovely feeling to finish a project? x

Country Cottage Chic said...

What a great job you did on the frame!

Dashfield Vintage said...

Ooo what a fantastic idea! Happy birthday. xx