Monday, 19 September 2011

If It's Good Enough For Scarlett.....

 


Here you go then - this is my first completed vintage creation. The pattern is from the 60s and designed by 'Orsini'. The cotton fabric was from the jumble sale. If I remember rightly it was about 30p and someone had made it into a makeshift duvet cover. I had to be a bit creative with the cutting out as the fabric wasn't as wide as it needed to be, but I mananged it. I also had to do a bit of readjustment as it was designed for someone with more boobage than me!! 
 
I'm pretty pleased with it - although there's lots of seams, it was a lot less complicated and far more enjoyable than a lot of the modern patterns I've attempted. I've often said to my mum how patterns seem so involved these days - it's no wonder that some people get put off at the first hurdle. She agreed that older patterns were much simpler. I think that modern patterns tend to have one bullet point per instruction which makes them seem really long-winded, whereas older patterns put several instructions into one section, which gives the impression that you've achieved more when you complete it. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you've made up any vintage patterns.

I did a search to see if I could find out more about Orsini. Although I didn't find anything specific to that designer I did find out about the pattern range. They were a mail order range produced in the 50s and 60s, usually by big names such as Oleg Cassini, Hunter Scott, Ardanti and Mr Blackwell. 

Vintage Patterns Wiki has a fantastic range of pictures of these patterns, great for a browse.

6 comments:

The Vintage Knitter said...

Your maxi dress looks super and I love that fabric you've used; if I didn't know that you'd made it, I would have thought that it was a vintage buy.

Vix said...

That is absolutely beautiful. Great choice of fabric and a lovely pattern, too.
Well worth the wait! x

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Fabulous. I'm interested to hear that you think vintage patterns are easier. I've (temporarily) abandoned the modern top I've been making. I've got a few vintage patterns and I will investigate further. xx

Helga! said...

EEEEEK!!! I love it! Love the fabric you've chosen,and the style is too die for!
Great job! xxx

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

Lovely dress! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Ivy Black said...

Brilliant! It looks fab and the pattern works really well. It's funny how vintage patterns are sometimes easier to work with and more of a pleasure than modern ones. Some of them are insanely complicated though, and I keep them in a box out of the way!!
xx