Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Re-Inventing The Egg Cosy?

I bought myself a copy of Cath Kidston's Sew! book the other day and it arrived this afternoon. I had a good flick through and have to say I'm actually quite impressed with it - there's 41 projects ranging from the basics such as cushions and appliqued blankets (a very cute one with aeroplanes, perfect for the little man) to more complex items like a hand-quilted hot water bottle cover and a couple of patchwork items.

There's also lots of information about how to complete the projects, including tips for hand-decoration and trimming. Naturally, of course, Ms Kidston's trademark cotton prints are out in force. Certainly a good book for a beginner, but also great for some inspiration for a more experienced sewer. Glad I got it from The Book People for £4.99 though!

But onto the reason for the title of the post. I have a big collection of home craft books, but even my collection barely scratches the surface of the vast numbers out there. However, reading through them, I don't think I can pick out more than about ten to fifteen basic items that you could make. So, is it the case that we are simply redoing the same projects, over and over again, just with someone else's fabrics? And if this is the case, wouldn't it be better to spend the cost of another book on some lovely fabric and create something that's entirely our own design?

It applies so much to clothing as well - I have a huge collection of patterns (can you spot a trend here?) but in actual fact, they're all variations on a theme. I bought a number of patterns from the 60s and 70s from ebay a few weeks ago and looking at them, there's at least half of them that are virtually the same as patterns I've bought in the last few years.

What do you think, is there anything new to be discovered or has it all been done already?

2 comments:

Vintage Vixen said...

That book loooks lovely! Nah, I don't think there is much new stuff, it's basically rehashes of the same thing on rotate.
I did read that if a fashion designer feels uninspired the best thing to do is to find a 20 year old copy of a magazine and basically rehash it. xxx

Serenata said...

I think things and fashions just go round in cycles, with variations. It would be nice if there was a bit more originality out there.