Monday, 5 July 2010

Catching Up

(www.jimandellen.org)

Just a quick post to say I'm still here and haven't forgotten about the world of blogging!

The last few weeks have been a mad round of feeding, nappy changing and not enough sleep, but I think things are starting to fall into place (for now, at least!). Thomas made his first real smile last night (funnily enough, during a nappy change), which was so nice to see and it's beginning to feel worth all the broken nights!

Naturally I haven't had a lot of time for crafting, but I managed to escape for a few hours last Saturday and took part in a knitting workshop with Debbie Abrahams. Debbie is a knitting designer and a consultant for Rowan yarns. She's published several books and runs courses and workshops all over the country.

The workshop I did was 'Professional Finishing', which was exactly as it says on the tin!
We learnt how to block and press the knitted pieces before using various techniques such as three-needle cast off to turn them into a finished garment. Debbie taught us the secret of picking up stitches evenly and also how to sew together the seams with mattress stitch. Despite a baking hot room, it was one of the best things I've done in a long time and I certainly learnt loads. I don't think I'll groan now when a pattern says 'pick up 100 stitches'!

I also decided to sign up to A Thrifty Mrs 52 Marvellous Makes Madness challenge, although goodness knows if I'll manage it, but what an inspiration!

I haven't forgotten about the giveaway I promised - I'm just waiting for my 50th follower to sign up and then you'll all have the chance to win. The main prize will be a book from my vast collection of crafting titles (to be revealed!), plus some other goodies to add to your craft stash!

Get following and in the words of a certain campaign 'It Could Be You!'


2 comments:

Serenata said...

I thought I already was following but wasn't! So have signed up as your 50th! ;-)

I'm thinking about joining in with the 52 week challenge as well...haven't quite made up my mind yet.

maypole said...

What a beautiful picture, so serene. Could we see more of little baby too?