Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Sometimes I Actually Make Things

I'm afraid life has rather got in the way of blogging recently, plus I haven't done much that warrants posting. As this time of year is when everything starts gearing up again with the allotment, we've been spending a lot of time sowing seeds and potting on for this year's crops.

As you may remember, I announced that we're expecting baby R&B in May and I'm happy to say that all is well and I continue to grow bigger and bigger!

As the title says from time to time, I do actually make things, rather than just talk about them!

Firstly, this is a cardigan I knitted for the baby. I thought baby things were easy, but I ended up unraveling this one several times as I kept losing count of rows and stitches completed! A word of warning if you try a Stylecraft pattern (as this one is) - check your tension meticulously. The yarn I used is meant to knit to 22 stitches over 10cms, but with the specified needles, it was more like 27 stitches. Also, I found it came out bigger than the size I chose to knit. So, the moral of this story is - preparation is key!


Next, I'd like to show you a little pair of shoes I created from a book I had for Christmas - Emma Hardy's Making Clothes for Children. These are probably one of the fiddliest things I've ever made. I ended up doing quite a bit of the stitching by hand and I'm not all that happy with the linings, but they're ok for the first attempt and I'm sure the baby won't notice!


Lastly, I actually made something for myself!

This is a maternity top from a Burda pattern in a cotton print by Rose & Hubble that I bought from Croft Mill (one of my favourite fabric places). To finish it off, I trimmed the sleeves with some vintage cotton lace from my collection.


Next on the list are the nursery curtains when I find some fabric in the right colour and one day I'll also finish the patchwork quilt that I mentioned in a previous post.

On another tack, I'm planning a book giveaway when I reach 50 followers, so don't forget to let your friends know!

7 comments:

Vintage Vixen said...

What beautiful things! That Burda top is gorgeous and as for those baby things...they even make me feel a little broody!
Nice to see you blogging again, it's been a while!
Vix
xxx

Country Style Living said...

How cute are those shoes....

maryannlucy said...

I love those those shoes, so cute! Your top is gorgeous too. Good to hear all is going well, not long now - how exciting!

Emma said...

Hello Liz,
Lovely to see your joining in with the Swap and a with a little one on the way.
Happy Easter..Em x

BizzyDays said...

These items are gorgeous! And all the more special cos' their made by your own fair hands :) The shoes you'll definately have to treasure forever! (Or little one will!)
Kind regards,
Donna

Elaine said...

Lovely makes, those shoes are just so sweet.

Love & blessings
xxxxxxxxx

Florence and Mary said...

Hi swap partner! Sorry I've been so late in contacting you to say days just some to whizz by at the moment.

My email should be on this comment so drop me a line and let me know if there's anything about you I should be aware of!!

I look forward to swapping with you

Victoria xx