Sunday, 24 January 2010

Snow Birds


Although the snow has now disappeared (let's hope that's it for this winter), I thought I'd share with you a few pictures of the feathered visitors to our garden.

We regularly put out food for the birds and are usually rewarded by lots of avian activity, as well a a cheeky grey squirrel or 3! Although we live in the city, we back onto a stretch of the Bristol-Bath Cycleway - a former railway track that goes from the centre of Bristol to Bath. The area directly behind us is heavily wooded and we see a wide variety of bird species that we'd never seen living in more rural areas.

Currently we see the usual Blackbirds, Robins, Woodpidgeons, Blue Tits and Chaffinches that most people get, but we have also have a few slightly less common residents. These include Long-tailed Tits, a Bullfinch, Jays and Collared Doves. With the recent cold weather, we've even had a pair of Fieldfares and what I think was a Redpoll.

As you can tell, birds are a particular interst of mine, although it's only in the last few years that I've realised how much I enjoy watching the birds and seeing new species. I also enjoy fabric with bird designs, but I have to hold back a bit on indulging that particular hobby!

Jay and Woodpidgeon ('Do you come here often?')


Blackbird



Jay in the apple tree


Fieldfare eating berries

2 comments:

MelMel said...

How kind you are feeding the birds...we do too, so many ppl forget about them at this time of year..xx

Shabby Chick said...

Those are lovely pictures, especially the jay. Reminds me of when I was about seven and I used to love feeding the birds, they all used to wait for me to get up in the morning and come outside!

mel xxx