Sunday, 31 May 2009

Motivational Speaking 101

(http://rattler-radio.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html)

Kind of appropriate for me at the moment. After 2 craft fairs in a row at which I failed to sell anything, part of me is ready to throw in the towel. But I'm trying to get in touch with my inner 2-year-old - the one that said no! loudly and repeatedly and refused to give up doing what she wanted to do. Or that tiny little part of me that kept going through countless lessons and 4 driving tests before finally passing at the fifth attempt, aged 23. Or the part that gets on a horse despite feeling sick at memories of a painful fall 12 years ago, the part that made me start jumping again.
The point is that this is something I don't want to give up on - I enjoy doing it and it makes me happy (most of the time). I don't know why I didn't sell anything - maybe it was the location, maybe people don't have the money, maybe I'm just not a saleswoman, but there's always next time.
I'm working on the look of the stall all the time - at the moment I'm trying to think of a good way to display my bags. They currently get laid on the table, but I need some kind of rack to hang them on. It needs to be small enough to stand on a 6ftx3ft table, so if anyone's got any ideas, I'd love to hear them.


3 comments:

A Bun Can Dance said...

Hello there!
Firstly, I hope that you are keeping your chin up in spite of the disappointing craft fairs.
As for the subject of craft fairs, I did lots and lots a couple of years ago, mostly in Wells. I hardly ever sold enough to cover my costs, and this was the same of many other stall holders. Most stalls had good quality handmade crafts, but there were some selling imported tat. Unfortunately the lack of interest from the general public left me questioning my products and raison d'etre. It seemed to me that most visitors to the fairs were merely passing time and browsing with no interest in buying.
Now, 2 years later, I do a lot of work to order. When I do make things to sell,(rather than to order) it is usually to friends, family and acquaintances - who are the people I know will appreciate and want the items I make!
Hey, this is looking rather long for a comment! If you want to email leave a message on my blog, it will come to my email and I'll get back to you.
There are many ways to sell your lovely items, and craft fairs are only a small part of that!
Happy days to you
Denise

BusyLizzie said...

I am with Denise.. keep your chin up! There are different ways to do different things. I have had terrible days in awful fairs, it happens to us all! Keep cheerful, Lotsa luv, Lizzie x

clare's craftroom said...

Please don't get disheartened . I did party plan with my crafts just like tupperware very social and profitable .Keep ewnjoying what you do .