Saturday, 9 May 2009

Charity Shop Bonanza

Yesterday I went on an impromptu trip to Taunton. Mr R&B was going there for a meeting so I decided to tag along for the ride. We caught the 8.30 train (very sustainable) and arrived at quarter past 9. He went to his meeting and I hit the shops. I easily spent about 3 hours looking around, then I had a coffee. Himself rang to say his meeting had finished, so we met for lunch (an omlette for me and ham, egg and chips for himself). After that we got back on the train and went home.

I've never been to Taunton before and I'm very glad I did - there are about 10 shops along the main shopping road. 1 or 2 aren't so great, but I did find one gem of a shop with sensible prices and no bought-in new goods (chain shops take note!). I probably could have bought more than I did, but I didn't want to go over the top and we're off to Paris next weekend, so there'll be more stuff to come. Here are some of the pretties I found:



A brand new 'Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady' quilt £5. The sales lady said it was still in it's packet when they received it and she'd only put it out that morning. I've no idea where it's going to go, but I'm sure I'll find a home for it.

2 fabric pieces, 50p each. I was amazed to see a box of remnants (I never see fabric in the shops at home) and I nearly missed them, but I heard another customer rummaging.


This little picnic basket, £2.50. Sadly empty of it's contents, but will come in handy for my craft fair table.


This lovely original painting, £10. I wasn't sure whether to buy it or not, but I dragged DH to have a look and he seemed to think it was ok, so I bought it. It really needs a frame, so it won't be going up just yet.

I also bought 2 old Ordnance Survey maps, but those are for the DH for his birthday. He likes looking at old maps!

We've been at the allotment today, digging some more beds. With luck we should be able to get lots of things in over the next few weeks. We've already planted strawberries, a rhubarb crown, runner beans and early potatoes. At home we're growing on courgettes, pumpkins, butternut squash, tomatoes, aubergines, sweetcorn and various other things.

I'll post some pictures another time!

5 comments:

Lajoni said...

There lovely finds Liz esp the quilt, hope Mitmots left you some goodies in France to buy as she came home with loads

BusyLizzie said...

So glad you had fun in Taunton! It is my nearest big town and I hardly ever go there these days!
Very pretty finds, well done. Lizzie xx

Things Hand Made said...

I have been thinking of going down to Taunton but it looks like you have cleared it of all the good stuff. I love the little basket.

Elaine said...

OOOO fabric......... see you just had to make me drool again ;)
It's lovely when you find such goodies isn't it? Well done.

Love and blessings
xxxxxxxxx

Thecraftytrundler said...

Lovely finds,and lovely fabric!!! I am fascinated by old maps too!!!taunton looks like a good place to shop!!

Sharon xx