Sunday, 14 December 2008

Winter Sunshine and Giant Fleas

Hello all!

I have just returned from the Shepton Mallet Giant Flea Market.
Giant fleas, I hear you cry, how horrid! But seriously, folks, there aren't really any large bloodsuckers involved (apart from the odd stallholder, maybe!). This is a more upmarket version of that great British institution, the Car Boot Sale. Except it's more expensive and mostly undercover in the 'relative' warm! There was everything from deer antlers(!) to fudge for sale, with a lot more in between. I spent a good couple of hours wandering around and got quite a nice haul of stuff. I also said hello to my friend Liz (The Washerwoman), who had a stall there. By this point Dear Husband had got bored and gone back to the car, which left me free to peruse the stalls, reasonably guilt-free! You can see all but one of my goodies in the picture below. The other item was a large piece of velvety fabric, but that's under wraps as it's going to be part of a project:


The winter sunshine in the title refers to our journey to the Bath & West Showground where the market is held. It was a pretty drive over - wintry trees, rolling Somerset hills and stone villages. There were lots of cows and sheep in the fields, even lambs in one! Somerset really is a beautiful county, but I think it rather misses out to it's more well known neighbours, Devon and Dorset.

9 comments:

Redwoodhouse said...

Hi Liz, thanks for the visit and the lovely comments, I also had a great day out at the flea today I got some nice bits and pieces which I will post later, I love poking around stalls like there was today but I always seem to home in on the expensive stuff!!! so pass most of it by, however I did get some nice things today. I'm off to read more of your lovely blog now.
Keep warm Jan

Nostalgia at the Stone House said...

Sorry not to have bumped into you at the Giant Flea - Lizzie said you were there...
I did get to meet Jan (Redwoodhouse)though, which was lovely...
Aren't those signs great - I couldn't resist the festive ones that I bought. The lady said that they had been featured in Country Living recently.

I have to agree that Somerset is a gorgeous county, but I could be bias!
;-))
Niki

dancingonabladeofgrass said...

I love Somerset .... biased too because my son and husband were born there!

jane and the happy crow said...

hello thanks for popping by my blog. I see that you were at the vintage and handmade fair, I had a stall at that its a shame you didnt talk to me! Never mind see you at the next one? You are lucky going to the flea market its a bit to far for me to get to without making mega plans! You had some lovely finds. I hope to go to the next antiques fair in the new year. Will pop by again soon. Jane xx

Things Hand Made said...

I always find that sort of thing quite refreshing and give me lots of ideas, There is a junk shop here that I go to when I need some inspiration.

Lace hearts said...

I bet the flea market was great fun - you never know what you'll find at something like that.

jane and the happy crow said...

Hello again if you want to take part in the next V&H fair get your skates on. I heard today that they only had a couple of stands left so get in touch with Jayne or Michele ASAP. Hope to see you there, Jane xxx

angel said...

Merry Christmas, hope you and Dh and the Guinea pig have a lovely day.

Mwah X x X x X

Vintage to Victorian said...

If you go to the next Giant Flea do come and say hello - I stand with my back against the wall(!!) opposite the sweetie man.

I'll pop back later and catch up with your other posts.

Sue