Wednesday, 22 October 2008

Reflections

I work as a temp at the same university my husband lectures at. I finished my latest assignment there last week and I asked the agency for a couple of weeks off before they give me another one. Although I do get holiday pay, this break is unpaid which is a bit depressing - not much spare change for treasures! I must admit that the more I think about it, the more I realise I'm not a career girl after all - I didn't go to university (partly through choice, partly through lack of opportunity). I've had several jobs since my two years of college, but none of which really led to anything I really wanted to do. I often worry about not having a career - it seems to be one of two expectations of my generation (the other being professionally unemployed, but that's another story) - but in all honesty I'm actually happiest being at home, pottering about doing my own thing. I achieve more satisfaction looking after my home, sewing etc than spending 7 hours a day, 5 days a week looking at a computer screen. (Thank goodness I don't have children as well, I don't know how I'd fit it all in). I really think we should be celebrating the women (and men) who want to stay at home, rather than 'just being a housewife/husband'. Don't get me wrong - a few hours work for an income of your own (and sanity) is important, but work shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of life! I'm very lucky that I can afford to be at home, but I also think we've been conditioned to believe that households must have 2 incomes in order to afford our modern lifestyles - after all, those 2 holidays a year, fancy cars and meals out aren't cheap.

Even if the current economic situation hasn't directly affected everyone, I think now is a good time to take stock and think about the real priorities. I honestly believe that we can all still enjoy life without lots of luxuries - family and quality time is the most important thing.

5 comments:

Elaine said...

What a lovely, heartfelt post.
Thank you.

Love and blessings
xxxxxxxxxxx

Joanne Brown said...

I totally agree - I made the choice to stay at home when we had the boys. It means that we have a small, modest 2 bed home, I drive a 2001 Ford Focus and my hubby rides a Scooter (yes, in all weathers!), holidays are usually a five night break in the UK, etc. But guess what? We are happy and healthy! I'm now looking to get part-time work because with the cost of living it's getting a little too close for comfort with the finances every month. But that's the only reason! Oh, and I did go to Uni and qualified to teach and hope to do that again someday, maybe! but right now my focus is my home and family.

Lace hearts said...

How true that all is. We had such a good time in Bristol - thank you for your comment. We lived in Bishopston for quite a while, and loved it.

angel said...

Hi Honey, for some reason i cant see your posts very well:-(
so i have come in here [comment section] to look at your posts, i like your new wallpaper.... but cant read over it.

Love and hugs Honey... X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X

BusyLizzie said...

right on! I agree with what you say. Please do come & say hello at the fair next week!
Lizzie